Category Archives: Taproom Q&A

Do you fill growlers?

Yes of course, we fill growlers for off-premise consumption only. We have growlers available for purchase or we refill growlers.  If you bring your growler in for refill, we ask that it is clean as we will not fill dirty growlers.

*Quick tip on cleaning: When you’re done using your growler rinse it out with hot water, leave the cap off and let it air dry. Don’t forget to save your cap! To take care of any odors, add baking soda and let it sit. After a bit shake it up, dump it out and rinse till the water comes clean.

Do you sell kegs?

Yep, we sell 1/2 bbl (15.5 gallons) & 1/6 bbl (5 gallons) kegs from our taproom, depending on availability.  We do ask for a $125 keg deposit that is fully refundable when the empty keg is returned. Party taps are also available ($45 refundable deposit) on a first come, first served basis. Just call us to find out what is currently available, 509-876-6220.

Any food?

We can’t prepare food onsite but we always have some snacks and a few items to share from our limited menu.  You are always welcome to bring outside food or have delivery to the taproom. We typically work with local food trucks through out the year.  You can always find who is coming out on our homepage or you can call us, 509-876-6220.

Are kids welcome?

Of course, we love them… when they are well behaved.  We had to put our games away for the time being, so feel free to bring some with you.  And we always have our non-alcoholic root beer available.  Some kids say it is the best root beer they have ever had!

What about dogs?

We love dogs but unfortunately the Department of Health does not allow dogs inside our taproom but we can have them outside.  We just require them to be friendly, on a leash, keep them from barking and pickup after your dog.